Our bike project relies on donated bicycles, parts, and funds. Rather than let your unused bikes take up space or end up in a landfill, let us refurbish them for a new useful life on the streets! Our volunteer mechanics refurbish donated bikes to working condition, which are either:
- given to residents in need, mostly in Newark, but also in other communities in Delaware
- given to kids in reward for their learning to repair them
- sold at affordable prices in our Newark shop, as well as in greater Wilmington/Philadelphia resale markets, to raise funds to cover on-going operation of the shop (rent, tools, supplies, insurance, utilities, etc.)
- sold on online auction sites, when the bike is a collector-type or high-end bike not suitable for common bicycle transportation (e.g., a carbon fiber racing bike)
- exchanged for bikes from other community bicycle charities when mutually beneficial due to types and sizes of bikes needed in different communities
- donated to bicycle charities in developing countries
The shop itself is not only where we fix up bikes, but also a teaching workshop that directly benefits Newark cyclists by empowering them to repair their own bikes with professional tools and access to volunteer mechanic expertise.
A bike donated to NBP stays out of the landfill, helps enable others to own a bike, and might even result in one less car the next time you are on Main Street!
Due to space limitations, we are currently accepting adult bicycles in fixable condition, as well as any bicycle parts. You may drop them off during any of our shop hours. Attach your name and email address in order to receive a donation receipt. Donations are tax deductible. You must declare the value; NBP cannot assign values.
If you have multiple bicycles to donate that you feel are worthwhile for us to pickup, please email us at Donations@NewarkBikeProject.org so we can attempt to arrange a volunteer to pick them up in a truck.
If you have youth bicycles in READY TO RIDE CONDITION (20″ wheels or smaller), we will accept them for re-donating to our youth bicycling partners, but also consider donating them to UrbanBikeProject in Wilmington during their hours, to a local Goodwill, or to a neighbor who can use them.
Please email us at Donations@NewarkBikeProject.org if you have questions about donating a bike, money, or other items. Thank you for your support!