NBP is seeking your feedback!
On behalf of NBP, Happy New Year and thanks for being part of our community! We are seeking your feedback on draft changes to the NBP bylaws and nominations for the 2017-2018 executive board through February 6, 2017.
DRAFT BYLAWS CHANGES
DRAFT CHANGES TO THE BYLAWS ARE AVAILABLE FOR REVIEW
Draft changes may be reviewed online at newarkbikeproject.org/draftbylaws. The board is suggesting the following edits:
- Update the definition of our membership. Membership would be redefined as anyone who has participated in an NBP program a minimum of one time during the past calendar year.
- Extend board terms from one to two years. We believe that this change will increase the organization’s stability, foster organizational growth but still encourage new leadership and ideas.
- Expand membership review of any bylaw changes.
- Clean up language to remove outdated language regarding inactive subcommittees and the previous fiscal sponsorship agreement.
JOIN OUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Help making biking better by guiding and building our organization
CALL FOR BOARD MEMBERS: 2017-2018 Term
Founded in 2012, the Newark Bike Project is a nonprofit based in Newark, DE. We are a grassroots organization promoting bicycling to the community of Newark, Delaware, two wheels at a time. Our charitable mission is to:
- Create an inclusive and flexible resource devoted to empowering members of the community in the use of wheeled, self‐powered transportation;
- Value sustainable and environmentally safe transportation alternatives, sharing and the creation of bicycle expertise and education, community building, and the overall joy of cycling; and
- Offer an affordable option for community engagement, through reused/recycled bicycles, parts, and the knowledge to sustain them.
Newark Bike Project is a volunteer-driven organization guided by a board of directors and energized by the participation of our volunteer community. During the next two years, the organization has big plans to:
- Grow our volunteer participation
- Increase our charitable programs that provide free or low-cost bicycles to the community
- Fund our programs, including potentially seeking funds to hire an executive director
As a growing organization we need diverse expertise and support. In order to join our team, we ask that you are willing to work as a team and share ideas openly. Additionally, we seek candidates with any of the following attributes:
- Networking and connections within the community
- Ability and desire to be part of our fundraising and development strategy
- Public engagement, fundraising, finance/accounting, human resource and/or management experience
Newark Bike Project is committed to improving the diversity of the bicycle movement in the Newark/University of Delaware community and we are looking for board members representing a broad range of backgrounds. We encourage all interested persons to apply for this position regardless of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, sex, age, or political affiliation.
Availability: Our board members serve two-year terms (pending draft revisions to the bylaws), though we can provide flexibility for student board members who may be graduating.
Commitment Details: Includes several hours per month on tasks such as attending monthly board meetings, volunteering in the shop, fundraising, community outreach, and becoming a champion of our shared cause.
Benefits: We are an all-volunteer board. Give back to the community while gaining excellent experience working hand-in-hand with like-minded folks. Network with local civic leaders while making Newark a more bicycle-friendly community.
Nominations are due by 5 p.m. on February 6. To nominate yourself or someone else, please email the name, phone number, email and a short description of why you think this person would be great addition to the Newark Bike Project board to email@example.com. After February 6, we will contact all nominees to confirm that they are that they are interested in the position.
Please Share! Do you know somebody who would be a good candidate? Send them this announcement. We are looking for board members representing a broad range of backgrounds and communities across the Newark area. Please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like to talk to any of our current board.